🙂 Author: Narendra Oli 🙂
Damp proofing Course : Dampness in a building is a common problem in Building nowadays, which may defect plaster, color ,floor or ceiling and may create serious problem in future so we should proper treat this in a construction Phase to resist Soil moisture from Earth to Wall Where, the moisture is rise from Plinth wall as a capillary action and result is create a dampness in main wall. To avoid dampness in ceiling and wall we need proper ventilation for air circulation.
What is damp proofing Course ?
A damp proofing course -DPC is a horizontal barrier in a wall to resist moisture rising through the structure by capillary Action-this phenomenon is knows as rising damp. In General Damp Proofing is used to Stop dampness in Building.
In Theory : Due to Capillary Movement of water, water rise from earth to the building. Passing through the foundation it rises higher to reach the wall.
Why Damp Proofing Course Required ?
Main reason to provide Damp proofing Material is to avoid moisture Capillary from Earth ,Ground or from Environment. And to resist construction material like Plaster, Paint, Ceiling from damaged from moisture and Increase building life as a whole. It will create Dark spot on ceiling, wall and may break cement-plaster Bonding .
Material used for Damp proofing Course:
A. Flexible materials
1. Butyl Rubber DPC Material:
2.Hot bitumen (Asphalt ) DPC Material
- Applicable with minimum thickness of 3mm.
- Applied on the bedding of concrete in hot condition.
3. Plastic sheet DPC Material
- 5 to 1mm thick
4. Metal sheets
- Placed where moisture is enters and about 3mm thickness metal (copper) sheet is embedded.
5. Combination of bitumen and metal sheet felt
- Known as lead core processes and characteristics.
- Easy to laying.
- Durability , economical.
7. Bituminous and asphalt feller
- It is laid on a levelled flat layer of cement motor.
- Used like as wall paper.
- Flexible material available in rolls of various thickness.
B. Semi Rigid Material
1. Mastic asphalt
- Semi rigid materials.
- Completely impervious materials.
- Sand with minerals ad asphalt when heated mastics asphalt is obtained.
- Can with sand only very slight distortion (twist) squeeze out in very that climate.
C. Rigid Material
- Special bricks having very low water absorption characters.
- Dense and sound stone , granite , slate , etc.
- 1:2 ,1:3 motor
- 1:2:4 , 1:1.5:3 (4cm to 15cm thick).